- Sport : Late drama as Apollon win Cyprus Cup
- blame : ‘Christofias to blame for our financial collapse’
- hooligans : Our view: Threat to society is from the hooligans, not the...
- Cyprus : Sale of Greek banks ‘could cost BoC millions’
- bank of cyprus : New BoC chief
- Cyprus : EU draft bank rescue law would not shield big deposits
- ayia napa : Sex museum ordered to close its doors
- Cyprus : Court disruption as family try to attack man accused of murder
- Britain's got talent : Cypriot success on Britain’s Got Talent
- Cyprus : Ministry could be fined for forcing girl to sit through RE...
Orphanides supermarket apologises over tree blunder
ORPHANIDES supermarkets yesterday removed a massive Christmas tree that was on a parking spot reserved for the disabled, a few days after a photograph of the tree did the rounds on Facebook.
The tree stood outside a branch in Larnaca’s Skarinou, spanning two stories and taking up almost all of the parking spot for the disabled as well as some of the adjacent space, also reserved for disabled drivers.
A photograph was widely shared on Facebook after a passer-by uploaded it a few days ago.
One commenter said, “Stay classy, Cyprus” another joked, “The tree IS disabled,” while others expressed anger at the lack of respect towards the disabled.
But Orphanides apologised yesterday on their Facebook page, saying the company “recognised that such an unfortunate lack of oversight could have been avoided”.
“We never intended to upset or inconvenience people with disabilities,” Orphanides said.
“We assure that an incident of this kind will not be repeated,” the announcement said.
Orphanides said that they had moved the tree, and thanked the public for making them aware of the situation.