Four-year-old Marios, who had suffered brain damage on July 14 due to meningitis, died in Makarios hospital on Friday.
The boy’s death was announced by Kourion municipality in a post on social media, cancelling an event in the framework of a festival that was to take place on Friday evening as a gesture of respect and support towards the family.
The municipality said the boy’s family held close ties with the local community.
Authorities confirmed the boy had died and that an autopsy would be carried out on Monday.
On August 10, dozens of people demonstrated outside Limassol general hospital, following claims by the family that meningitis not been diagnosed in time.
The boy developed a fever on July 8 and for the next few days his parents were in contact with the paediatrician, who prescribed medication and tests.
When the boy’s health did not improve, he was taken to Limassol general hospital, where he was diagnosed with meningitis.
As the boy’s health continued to show no sign of improvement, the parents insisted he be transferred to Makarios hospital in Nicosia.
On July 14, while on the way to the Makarios hospital, the boy appears to have become brain dead.
Okypy said it sympathised with the family and that police and internal investigations were under way.
It added that statements had been taken and that everyone was innocent until proven guilty.
Okypy assured it was cooperating with the authorities for the “immediate, unbiased and objective investigation of every claim or complaint”.
Click here to change your cookie preferences